Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm going to Chirripo!

CISA (our language school) leads a ministry to the indigenous people of Costa Rica. The school runs a home next door for 7 indigenous people with disabilities. (You can click on the link to the right to learn more about CISA and this ministry). Every month a team from CISA travels to Chirripo to minister to the indigenous people there. It is a grueling trip with a 5-6 hour hike through jungle and mountain terrain.

For the past two months I have been training to go on this trip by going on many hikes in the mountains around Tuis. I'm so excited to be a part of the team going July 9-11--next week! Please pray for our team: for safety, good health, and a productive trip. We will be carrying lumber in to continue work on a building project there. We'll be visiting another village to help dedicate a new church there. In Chirripo the guys will work on the building project (I'm not sure what they are building) and the ladies will work with the kids (I'm not sure what we'll do). We'll have a meeting on Monday where I'll learn more about what we'll be doing.

It looks like I will also be using my nursing on this trip as well. The pharmacy I go to in Turrialba donated some medications and I'll bring what I have as far as medical supplies. I have no idea what we'll find there, but expect to find parasites, poor nutrition, poor hygiene, and various skin or other infections. It will be a challenge as they have their own language and only know some Spanish. I'll also take blood pressures, weight, height, etc. and make a "health card" for anyone who wants it. I also have growth charts for the kids.

Please also pray for Tim as he'll be a single parent while I'm away!

Cindy

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

I hope it goes well, for both you and for Tim and the kids. Glad to read all your updates! I'm so glad you're blogging- it helps me feel like I know what's going on a bit more and reminds me to pray for you.
Rebeca